Friday, April 12, 2013

A-Z Challenge: K is for Kentucky

Tanzy journey begins at Wildwood Horse Farm, which is nestled in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. A turn of events and a new friend take her to the blue-grass hills of Kentucky. Tanzy expects to have the time of her life... but something goes terribly wrong. Here is an excerpt from Tanzy's first sunrise in Kentucky:


15. Blueblood.
Waking up is a mixed bag. Because if today is real, if I get to shop the world’s most pedigreed horses without a budget, then last night was real. And I almost killed a man. The first thought makes me want to leap out of bed. The second makes me want to jump out the window.

I glance at the clock on my bedside table. Seven-thirty. Time to get moving. But the simple action of swinging my legs over the side takes everything I’ve got. I blink and John’s face is in front of mine again, smoke and beer on his breath. Another blink and all I see is red. Salty, warm, red that smells like rust and is every bit as corrosive, eating straight through my flesh and deep into my soul.

Even now I can feel the drops of blood that splattered my cheek the moment my fist made contact. I catch myself wiping at it, sure I’ll see stains on the back of my hand. But there’s nothing there. A man could be dead because of these hands but they don’t look any different. Shouldn’t they look different? They start to tremble all over again. I shake them at my sides, shake them until they hurt.

6 comments:

  1. Great excerpt! Thank you for sharing, Jadie. It reminds me how setting and the actual place, if it exists, plays a vital role in the writing process and how things come out on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intriguing post, Jadie. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Jadie! Really good excerpt and great use of details. I could see the scene well. Nice work!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Jadie on your book!
    Your excerpt is really good.
    Good luck with the rest of the challenge, are your eyes hurting yet from reading so much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great scene. Thanks for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ramble on, y'all.